Friday 1 July 2016

Inside reef

As you can see from my track, I decided to sail inside the Great Barrier Reef rather than do the 6 or 7 days non-stop to Cairns.

There were a few reasons for this, the main one being problems with the alternator. Right from the start I have suspected it of not charging properly, never seeing more than a few amps going in even when the batteries were low. Hence I have seldom run the fridge. Shame that I prefer white wine to red but good thing that cold beer is not a necessity of life. Sadly fresh veggies are.

I came close to buying a new alternator at a few ports along the way but fortunately didn't. Turns out there was nothing wrong with this one. It just needed exciting. Apparently there is this extra little exciter wire that had never been connected, without which the alternator can't get turned on.  Hmmm..

So a relatively simple and (for once) inexpensive fix. White wine & lettuce now chilling nicely.

I have often contemplated what necessities bring a sailor into port.
So far, I have listed water, provisions, repairs, accidents, illness, loneliness.
Hot showers and laundromats are nice but not essential. Power is only a temporary top-up, which was a priority for my hungry batteries..  Not now hopefully.

Will post some pics of Pancake Creek & Gladstone later. This has been my first attempt to write this blog post on my iPad down below while motor-sailing under poled-out headsail with 7 knots tail wind & very rolly seas.. Amazing progress in my mal-de-mer tendency.
Ok enough now...




No comments:

Post a Comment