Wednesday 20 July 2016

Sleeping amongst crocs.

Thursday, 21/7/16. Reis Point, Hinchinbrook.

This is the first morning I have awoken without the pressure to move on. Twelve hours of blissful oblivion vindicated yesterday's decision.

I actually woke up at 0530, as I have been accustomed to, by the sound of someone calling out "Hoy!" (the modern version of Ahoy there).

I leapt out of my bunk thinking perhaps Shanti had dragged closer to the crocodile infested mangroves, grabbed the torch (not working) and went out on deck in the rain. (Yes, it's still raining).
Not a soul in sight. I must have dreamt it.

I slid back into my warm bunk and fell into that really deep stupor of total exhaustion for another 3 hours. Oh guilty joy!

What will I do with this free day? Perhaps use some of that bucket full of rainwater and have a shower.  Hopefully the midges won't devour me.

                                           ______________________________

All squeaky clean now after my first hot shower on board Shanti. Thanks to my friend Wayne for the great idea of using a tall rubbish bin and submersible pump.  I bought this rechargeable battery powered pump from Aldi in Melbourne and just dug it out today. I love it!



It takes surprisingly little water to create a lovely hot shower (all fresh rainwater so there is an abundance of it).  Mopping up the head afterwards is the longer part of the process, but it needed a good clean anyway. All I need is a shower curtain and drainable sump in the bilge.

Such are the luxuries we appreciate in life aboard a small vessel.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacky,

    You have earned a rest. You can mosey up to Cairns and Port Douglas as a tourist before returning to Rockhampton.

    Stay away from those crocks.

    Cheers,

    Ron
    VK3AFW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great being able to follow you now jacqui! Enjoying it and very happy to see you doing well in spite of the obstacles... bravo! Keeping an open mind to changes and remaining flexible is probably key I'm guessing. Big hug to you from me (and Andrea Caracol) sashaying our way through the Basque Country just now ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete